Sunday, January 4, 2015

2015 My Word for the Year



Many bloggers I follow are choosing a word for the year - something to focus on in their life and in their home. I thought and thought about this, and finally decided to join up with a word of my own.

There are so many different areas that need attention in my life - I could focus on my home and family, my role as wife and mother, or I could choose an area of interest such as homeschooling, cooking and healthy eating, crafts and projects.....my list is pretty much endless BUT the hours in my day are not!

Because I often struggle with taking on so many different things, some by my own choosing and others that are placed on me, I decided that the one thing I really needed to focus on was PRIORITIES. That is, keeping them straight so that I can actually accomplish that which I ought to.

It is one thing to be busy and accomplish many tasks. Any "Martha" can do that. It is another thing entirely to do those tasks well. Doing the things you are supposed to do, and doing those tasks well, takes it to a whole other level though.

I want 2015 to be a year where I know what tasks I am supposed to be giving my attention to, and I do those well for the glory of God. I don't want to run endlessly on fumes and vapors, spinning my wheels and getting a lot done, but taking a chance on missing what is important.

There are some things that I have no choice in. Our family owns a small business, and I have responsibilities there. We manage chronic illness, so I must deal with endless health insurance issues. We have chosen to home school, and though it is a joy, it also brings a daily supply of tasks that must be done.  And strangely enough...my family still needs to eat and wear clean clothes on a daily basis!

While I am juggling all these responsibilities, I don't want to lose sight of the fact that as a child of God, my very foremost obligation is to honor Him and spread the Gospel. While I do believe that serving my family is also service to my Lord, I also want to make sure that I am putting myself in a place where my paths will cross with those who need to be reached, so I can point them to the Cross.

The verse I have chosen, Matthew 6:33, sums it up pretty well:

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you."

I want to focus my priorities in 2015 on seeking first the kingdom of God. I can certainly enjoy serving in the ministry and witnessing together with my family, which actually helps fulfill another responsibility, that of teaching my children how to introduce people to the Lord Jesus Christ. So 2015 will be a year for involvement in soul winning and outreach ministry.

I also know that to be my best, I need to focus on a daily walk with the Lord, so 2015 will be a year of focusing on daily devotions.

In order to stay healthy and on track, I need to eat right and get enough sleep, which makes personal care a priority as well.

My desire is to make all that I do fit the end goal - to seek first the Kingdom of God. Practically, there are areas that need help such as meal planning or household organization, but they are not the 'end all' goal. The end goal is to honor the Lord with my life - the practical side is just a means to reach that end.

My prayer is that I will be able to stay focused on seeking first the Lord's will. I look forward to His fulfillment of the promise that "all these things" shall be added. I know that if I take care of my end, that God can certainly take care of His!


Check out the Word of the Year link up on The Old Schoolhouse Review Crew!


Copyright 2012-2014 - "Be The One" - www.aclassofone.blogspot.com  All rights are reserved. No text, photos, or content may be reproduced without direct permission from the author.

2 comments:

  1. I can definitely relate! Thanks for sharing your Word for 2015 and reminding us of the importance in priority!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!